How twisted can
- The digital parts are ported from the hardware line by line, the wavetables byte by byte, and the analog parts are modeled component by component.
- The first-ever officially licensed Buchla plug-in.
- Perfect for screeching, harsh and digital sounds.
Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator
With the 259e, the answer is — pretty twisted. A coveted dual oscillator module now available for Softube Modular, Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator is the first-ever officially licensed plug-in version of a Buchla product. While the unit can be used for traditional synth patches, its unusual inner workings makes Buchla 259e excel at metallic, cold, harsh, digital and screeching sounds.
"The Twisted Waveform Generator is one of Buchla's many complicated and mysterious modules. I honestly did not expect a digital version to capture the richness of this maverick device. But, Softube has, amazingly, captured everything I have, so far, imagined about the oscillator. The Twisted plugin is now an important element in my Buchla + Computer performances."Artist, Synthesist and Musical Pioneer
Have a listen
The first ever officially licensed software version
The Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator plug-in for Modular features all the digital waveshaping, aliasing noise and foldover frequencies of the original hardware.
Expand the possibilities
Enjoy the self-modifying, screeching, snarling responses from the original's downright odd inner workings. The 259e is a unique addition to the Modular ecosystem.
What is a Twisted Waveform Generator anyways?
The 259e consists of two separate oscillators — Principal and Modulation — where Modulation can be used either to modulate the Principal oscillator or as a separate generator of audible notes. Furthermore, the sine wave generated by the Principal oscillator is simultaneously applied to two of the eight available waveshape tables. A morph voltage pans between the two tables and a warp voltage varies the amplitude of the sinusoidal (driving) waveform. Both these functions can be modulated by the Modulation oscillator.
Here's where it gets really twisted
Three of the waveshape tables are actually not tables in the classical sense — they are simply portions of the 259e operating program, full of unpredictable noise and frequent silences. This is the innovative Mem Skew mode, possibly the most unique feature of the Buchla 259e. When these tables are selected, the FM controls are re-assigned to table scanning functions and the FM inputs become table modulators.
More than traditional sounds
To sum it up, while the Buchla 259e can certainly be used for more traditional sounds, it excels at creating otherworldly twisted digital sonic landscapes. Which is why it is one of the most coveted synth modules on the market. Learn more about the original hardware module
"Three years ago I purchased a Buchla Easel and it really changed the way I compose my music. The Softube Buchla 259e makes me not miss my Easel too much while travelling."Producer, DJ, remixer and artist
- Made for Modular, Softube's Eurorack platform. Learn more about Modular
- The first-ever officially licensed Buchla plug-in
- Unique and desirable oscillator
- Perfect for screeching, harsh and digital sounds
- Can also be tamed to sound quite smooth and organic and morph smoothly between these softer sounds and the more in-your-face sounds
- The digital parts are ported from the hardware line by line, the wavetables byte by byte, and the analog parts are modeled component by component
All Softube products require a computer with appropriate DAW host software (none of which are included).
Versions from 2.5.38 and newer of the Softube plug-ins have the following minimum requirements:
All native versions
- Mac OS X 10.13 up to 12
- Windows 10 and 11 64-bit
- Mac: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon / Full Apple silicon support (M1 or higher)
- Windows: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon / AMD Quad-Core or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space)
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading installers and managing licenses
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok key for authorizing your plug-ins (note that a physical iLok USB key is not a requirement)
In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (Pro Tools 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work. However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs - and our own rigorous testing standards - we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Ableton Live, Studio One, Reaper, and Cakewalk. Softube plugins are not tested in non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Note: We have checked the basic functionality of our plug-ins, and Softube Central, under Apple Rosetta 2.
With regards to the different VST formats, we strongly recommend using VST3 as some of our plug-ins have features that are not present in the older VST format. Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo. The most recent maintenance release of your DAW application is recommended. AAX DSP is not currently in active development. TDM/VENUE is no longer supported (old downloads are available on the Legacy Installers page).
Find the Softube installer you need both Softube Central and individual plug-ins.
AAX DSP version
- For AAX DSP you need to meet the above requirements for the Native versions. You also need to have an Avid HDX processing card. For plug-ins available for AAX DSP, see Which Softube plug-ins support AAX DSP?