Eurorack in your computer
Patching, modulating, oscillating, tweaking, designing, inventing. Whether it's bass, leads, percussion, pads, noise, ambience, effects, realistic emulated instruments, space-and-time-travel craziness, or just a sonic science project, you've found your perfect partner in innovation.
Created in close collaboration with Doepfer, the creators and original stewards of the Eurorack modular synth standard, Softube Modular gives you all the sound, flexibility and expandability of a true analog modular synthesizer. So dive in, and discover a world where anything is possible, and you never run out of patch cables.
Experienced Eurorack synth users will be right at home from the start. Add modules, connect them using virtual patch cords, adjust knobs and switches — it's as close as anything gets to the real thing.
Modular offers a wide range of expertly designed presets, immediately available to be put to use in your music. When you are ready to learn more about patching a Eurorack synth, dig into the step by step patching tutorials included in the manual.
We release new sold-separately add-on modules all the time. So far, there are painstakingly modelled, fully licensed and endorsed emulations of classic hardware modules from 4ms, Buchla, Intellijel, Doepfer, and Mutable Instruments. Watch out for more.
"Softube Modular is a revolutionary virtual modular synthesizer. I finally have a way to patch and experiment on the go with my laptop. So far its been incredibly fun, and I am looking forward to all the new modules they will add!"Electronic artist and music producer for Warp, Schematic
Continuing the legacy
Buchla and Moog started it all with their modular synthesizers in the 1960s. Doepfer made it affordable in the 1990s by introducing the Eurorack standard. Today, the Modular plug-in from Softube makes the modular synthesizer truly accessible to everyone.
The freedom of invention and expression allowed by a modular synthesizer is unparalleled, so whether you're a pioneering sound-design expert or just a curious experimenter, Modular offers an affordable, portable option, without ever compromising on the extraordinary sound quality of its analog forebears.
Build on the basics with expansion modules
As a Modular owner, the basic system gives you a great toolkit to start out with. It includes seven modeled Doepfer modules and over 16 utility modules. But there is much more to discover. Many Softube effects, including Saturation Knob, Tube Delay, the TSAR-1 and TSAR-1R reverbs, and Spring Reverb can be used as modules in Modular, as can our drum machine, Heartbeat; Additional modules from quality Eurorack vendors and modular synth — Intellijel, 4ms, Doepfer, Buchla, Mutable Instruments — are available for separate purchase. More modules are continuously being made available.
An instrument and an FX plug-in
The Modular FX plug-in allows you to run external audio through Modular, and use the system to build your own complex effects. Guitar pedals, compressors, flangers, choruses, autowahs... the only limit is your imagination.
And to make it easy to use and control your patches in the real world, performance modules offer simple, chunky knobs and buttons that can be freely assigned to any parameter on any module in the current patch. Great for studio and stage!
Tweak using Native Instruments hardware
Modular supports Native Instrument's Native Kontrol Standard. This means you can use it with Komplete Kontrol keyboards and Maschine units and get the same intuitive hands-on control of Modular's functions as with any of Native Instruments' own products — all automatically laid out on the hardware's knobs, buttons and keys, and with no additional setting up needed.
- Modular is a cross-platform modular synthesizer plug-in standard, which features authorized emulations of modules from well known hardware Eurorack brands.
- True dynamic circuit-emulation-looks, functions and sounds like its hardware counterparts.
- Basic system contains seven Doepfer modules (A-110-1 VCO, A-108 VCF, A-132-3 Dual VCA, A-140 ADSR, A-118 Noise/Random, A-147 VCLFO, A-114 Ring Modulator).
- Basic system contains the unique ROLI Seaboard RISE module which interface Modular with the ROLI Seaboard RISE keyboard controller.
- Modular also contains over 16 Utility modules (such as MIDI to CV/gate, mixers, slew, sample & hold, switches, multiples, delay, offset, sequencers, clock dividers, logic and signal tools, as well as a Polyphonic MIDI to CV/gate module).
- Additional authorized emulations from Intellijel, Buchla, 4ms, Doepfer, and Mutable Instruments are available as add-ons. Many more modules from other quality hardware Eurorack vendors yet to come.
- Simple design of your own interaction layout with the Performance modules in classic synthesizer style.
- Softube Heartbeat drum channels and EQ can be used as separate modules for owners of Heartbeat.
- Several of Softube's effects (including Saturation Knob, TSAR-1 and TSAR-1R reverbs, Tube Delay, and Spring Reverb) are also available as modules in Modular. If you own the plug-in, you own the module.
- More than 400 quality presets included covering a huge range of styles and sounds.
- Can be used both as effect and instrument for your DAW and integrates beautifully with your hardware Eurorack modular.
- High internal sample rate within system enables true feedback.
- Download our Saturation Knob plug-in and get a free module to use inside Modular.
Have a listen
"A synthesists dream come true, a high quality virtual Eurorack experience!"Programmer, mixer and producer for Depeche Mode, The Knife and Fever Ray
Common for Windows and Mac OS X
While Modular will run on computers meeting the general System Requirements, an Intel Core i5 or faster CPU is recommended and may be required to use some of the factory presets. If multiple instances of Modular will be run at the same time, the CPU should preferably be at least quad core.
To use in Pro Tools
- Pro Tools 11.3 or newer is required. Older Pro Tools versions are unsupported and may cause issues related to automation and project loading/saving.
Modular is not available for AAX DSP.