- An iconic tool for adding natural warmth and smoothness to vocals, guitar, and bass
- A meticulous model of a compressor that has been an industry staple since the 1960s
- Added features such as new ratios, parallel compression, and detector filtering
Dynamics / Distortion / Console 1 Ready
The hardware we modeled OPTO Compressor on is lauded as the most classic compressor. It's well-known for its nuanced tube character and how it delicately enhances the fainter parts of a performance in a natural-sounding way. While the warm and smooth tones remain, OPTO Compressor offers some crucial, new DAW-friendly features.
Our OPTO Compressor plug-in ensures that you get the legendary magic of the early-60s T4 Opto Cell original, plus the added control and flexibility of a modern mixing and production workflow. All with Softube-quality sound.
Designed by Experts, Built on Legacy
We have been emulating professional audio gear for two decades. With partnerships with premium brands like Tube-Tech, Solid State Logic, Chandler Limited, and Marshall Amplification, we have a strong record of accurately recreating analog standards in software form.
OPTO Compressor builds on this legacy, delivering nothing less than the same classic character as the original hardware, superior sound quality, and added modern features.
Have a listen
More than meets the eye
OPTO Compressor offers the slow attack and smooth character of pro audio's go-to optical tube compressor, plus added modern features for a DAW-based workflow. Dry/Wet and a Sidechain section deliver more control and improved versatility for mixing and mastering. Drive allows you to decide the amount of distortion and character of the original unit separately from the gain reduction, making OPTO Compressor more useful in a mixing situation than the original hardware.
The High Frequency Make-up feature allows you to compensate for the minor loss of higher frequencies when compressing sound sources. With the Stereo Link switch, you can toggle from Stereo Linked mode, with linked Left and Right gain reduction, to Unlinked Dual Mono for independent gain reduction for Left and Right channels. OPTO Compressor is perfect for vocals, guitar, and bass or as a second gain reduction stage after the FET Compressor Mk II on a vocal track.
Icons: The Compressor Collection
Looking for classic compression fit for a cutting-edge workflow? Icons: The Compressor Collection features three perfectly captured compressors that have defined the industry standard and stood the test of time. Discover Icons: The Compressor Collection.
Console 1 Ready
This plug-in can be used within Console 1, our mixing system. Click to learn more.
- An expert emulation of the most classic analog compressor in the world
- Renowned for its warmth, smoothness, and ability to add character to the sound
- Added modern features, such as Drive, Stereo Link, a Sidechain section, the High Frequency Make-up feature, and Dry/Wet
- Authentically modeled subtle tube distortion character
- Console 1-ready
- Included in Icons: The Compressor Collection
This product supports
We love VU meters, Bakelite knobs, and analog quirks. But we want modern precision and workflow. The answer? Softube Extended Features. Easy-access panels with the innovations you need close at hand.
- macOS Big Sur 11, Monterey 12, Ventura 13
- Windows 10 (64-bit), Windows 11
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Computer with AU, VST, VST3 and/or AAX compatible DAW host software
- Internet access (for downloading installers and managing licenses)
Read full System Requirements and our Terms and Conditions