- A careful modeling of a hardware classic found in every top-notch studio worldwide
- Upgraded with an extra panel full of modern features, such as Low Cut Filter, Saturation Knob, and Parallel Inject
- Easy to use, always. The original was a cinch, and the plug-in keeps it simple so you can focus on the performance
Console 1 ready
Summit Audio TLA-100A Compressor
A studio essential for four decades and counting, this classic compressor is all about gentle, natural-sounding gain reduction, sublime leveling, and ease of use. Everything you put into the TLA-100A comes out the other side sounding big yet compact. It effortlessly keeps the dynamics of your material controlled, without strangling the sound.
An exquisite emulation of the original 1980s hardware, the TLA-100A plug-in offers extras not previously available to the hardware user, such as a Low Cut filter, the Saturation knob, and Parallel Inject. The plug-in pluses take the TLA-100A to the next level while enshrining the warm, smooth sound of the original.
The TLA-100A behaves similarly on all types of material. Its transparency and strong-but-gentle grab of the sound source make it a popular choice for placing vocals and bass just where they need to be in the mix.
You can do magic
The TLA-100A is tailor-made for softening a spiky acoustic guitar that demands too much attention or for providing some glue on a drum bus or a full mix.
"The Summit has been our go-to vocal limiter since it came out, and Softube has managed to capture every nuance of it with incredible detail."Studio and live engineer for Garbage, also worked with Foster the People, Muse, Beck and Offspring
Have a listen
Debuted in the 1980s, the Summit Audio TLA-100A compressor has become a studio standard the world over. Softube partnered with Summit Audio to create a software version that is officially licensed and endorsed by the hardware designers. The plug-in holds on to the acclaimed personality and pleasant toastiness of the original—as well as the natural design of the controls and interface—all while keeping sound quality at the highest level possible. Just one reason why Summit Audio plug-ins are made exclusively by Softube.
Color by numbers
The Summit Audio TLA-100A works in a program dependent manner, meaning it does a lot of the thinking for you. Its success is due in large part to how tremendously easy it is to use. When modeling the original, we made sure to maintain all the components that make the TLA-100A so simple and smooth. It’s practically impossible to make it sound bad. Although, it will give you some soft and warm distortion if you drive it super hard.
We wouldn’t be Softube if we didn’t squeeze in some features that make the software version a little more robust than the original TLA-100A. Peep the lower panel and you’ll find all the additions, including a Saturation Knob that lets you blend just the right amount of distortion into your signal, a Low Cut filter to flawlessly carve compression, and Parallel Inject that’s practically made for drum bus or mix bus.
Video: The Beauty of Simplicity with the TLA-100A
In nature, people speak of the beauty of simplicity. In the case of the TLA-100A, Summit Audio captures a natural sound with their one knob gain reduction compressor. While the controls are simple, the character that this compressor imparts on your sound is always one of beauty, while allowing you to focus on exactly how much control you want over your dynamics and warm tube saturation. Balance a vocal in the mix, gently tame guitars, or add gentle distortion to widen what would otherwise be a thin sounding element of your mix.
Sometimes we require an entire toolkit to make things work. But other times the most simple adjustment to our music can retain a natural sound and bring a lush sound that no amount of hard work could ever achieve.
"Softube has outdone itself. The TLA-100A plug-in is a testament to what can be achieved in hardware modeling when attention is paid to the smallest details of design."Rob Thomas, Pixies, Liars, Alice Cooper
Console 1 Ready
This plug-in can be used within Console 1, our mixing ecosystem. Click to learn more.
- Officially licensed and created in partnership with Summit Audio
- Every single component expertly modeled
- Mild authority with which to control your audio dynamics
- Modeled output distortion, easily controlled with the saturation knob.
- Extremely analog behavior of frequencies, phase, distortion, attack, release, etc.
- Built-in parallel compression
- Detector filtering (a Low Cut filter that’s switchable to signal input)
- Absurdly easy to use
- Modeled output distortion that’s easily controlled with the saturation knob
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer (older OS versions may work but are not tested).
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer.
- Screen resolution 1280x800 or larger.
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space. Specific information available on each instrument's page).
- Softube account.
- iLok account.
- Internet access for downloading installer and managing licenses.
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement).
- In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work.
However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs - and our own rigorous testing standards - we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Live, Studio One, Digital Performer, Reaper and Sonar. Softube plugins are not tested in the non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Please Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required. Therefore, for example, Pro Tools 10.x is no longer supported (contact support for latest 32-bit compatible instalers).
Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
The most recent maintenance release of the DAW application is recommended.
AAX DSP is not in active development, but older products still support AAX DSP. For legacy TDM/VENUE, please see the Legacy Installers page.