- Meticulously modeled analog compressor. Each single stage of the analog unit has been modeled separately to achieve the exact sound and behavior of the original analog unit
- Sweet input and output stage distortion
- Modeled 'All buttons in' mode
Console 1 ready
The FET Compressor is an impressively faithful modeling of a device loved for its aggressiveness and its tendency to add some tasty distortion to the sound source when driven hard.
This compressor loves to be slammed and abused. But few things are so good they can't be improved, so we added a couple of nice features that makes it even more flexible than the hardware original.
Have a listen
"Softube is so good, after using the products the first time, I could speak French. Mainly because I kept saying: Pardon my French, but these plug-ins are f**king unbelievable! The FET Compressor in particular is probably the warmest, fattest compressor plug-in on the market."Madonna, Whitney Houston, Back Street Boys
A timeless classic
FET Compressor is sonically true to the original with all the fixed ratio settings from the initial hardware, including the famous all-buttons-in setting.
Adapted for the digital age
We have added some modern-day features that make it even more flexible than the hardware original. External sidechain with low cut, parallel blending, and more.
Use it to bring up the crack of the transients of a drum kit, or get vocals tight and upfront with a bit of nice grit.
This product supports
We love VU meters, Bakelite knobs, and analog quirks. But we want modern precision and workflow. The answer? Softube Extended Features. Easy-access panels with the innovations you need close at hand.
"The FET Compressor from Softube is an all-around winner here at my Tones 4 $ Studios. It performs amazing on bass guitar, snare drums and the best, so far, on lead vocals!"Contributing editor for MIX Magazine and 'New Toys' columnist for L.A.'s Music Connection Magazine
Punch and crunch
In general, the FET Compressor can be used for deeper gain reduction than you would normally use with any compressor. The reason is that even at extreme settings, the FET Compressor shows no trace of the pinched sound many other compressors make when you push them hard. This ability for strict gain control is not least useful on lead vocal tracks that need to be kept in the listener's face. The distortion also adds a nice grit to the voice, highly useable in rock mixes but in no way limited to that.
A studio essential
A natural function of the FET Compressor is in drum mixing. Engineers love to use the FET on room microphones, overheads, or across the entire drum bus. Used in this way, the FET Compressor reveals a large, explosive sound in the vein of Led Zeppelin. Parallel compression is also a useful technique here so we added the Parallel Inject control to facilitate that application. Want to reduce kick drum pumping or let the bass guitar's low-end bloom? We gave you the sidechain filter for that.
Console 1 Ready
This plug-in can be used within Console 1, our mixing system. Click to learn more.
- Sweet input and output stage distortion.
- Super fast attack time (just like the original).
- Lookahead (in case you don't find the original's attack time fast enough).
- Modeled 'All buttons in' mode.
- Continuous ratio (even between 20:1 and ALL) — but if you want the fixed ratios of the original, just click the ratio labels around the knob.
- Parallel compression.
- Detector low and high cut filters.
- External side chain.
- Stereo with synchronized gain reduction.
- Very CPU friendly.
- Meticiously modeled analog compressor. Each single stage of the analog unit has been modeled separately to achieve the exact sound and behavior of the original analog unit.
All Softube products require a computer with appropriate DAW host software (none of which are included).
Versions from 2.5.18 and newer of the Softube plug-ins have the following minimum requirements:
All native versions
- Mac OS X 10.13 up to 11.6.1 - MacOS 12 Monterey support pending
- Windows 10 64-bit - Windows 11 support pending
- Mac: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon - M1 support pending
- Windows: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon / AMD Quad-Core or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space).
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading installers and managing licenses
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok key for authorizing your plug-ins (note that a physical iLok USB key is not a requirement)
In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (Pro Tools 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work. However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs - and our own rigorous testing standards - we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Ableton Live, Studio One, Reaper, and Cakewalk. Softube plugins are not tested in non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Note: We have checked the basic functionality of our plug-ins, and Softube Central, in macOS Monterey running under Apple Rosetta 2, and initial tests do look promising. Silicon M1 native support is pending.
Note: We have run initial tests of Softube Central and our plug-ins within Windows 11 with positive early results. Further testing and announcements will follow.
With regards to the different VST formats, we strongly recommend using VST3 as some of our plug-ins have features that are not present in the older VST format. Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo. The most recent maintenance release of your DAW application is recommended. AAX DSP is not currently in active development. TDM/VENUE is no longer supported (old downloads are available on the Legacy Installers page)
Find the Softube installer you need both Softube Central and individual plug-ins.
AAX DSP version
- For AAX DSP you need to meet the above requirements for the Native versions. You also need to have an Avid HDX processing card. For plug-ins available for AAX DSP, see Which Softube plug-ins support AAX DSP?