- A fun-to-use MIDI-controlled effect with an inspiring workflow and Softube-quality sound
- Featuring a six-voice polyphonic carrier synth with four selectable waveforms
- Great for vintage vocoder sounds as well as creative experimentation
Developed by Bell Labs and used by the military to obscure voiced messages during World War II, the vocoder has had a clandestine foothold in music culture since the 1970s. With subtlety, or not, the vocoder appears on a parade of favorites from Electric Light Orchestra and Imogen Heap to Daft Punk and Herbie Hancock.
With Softube sound quality and workflow, Vocoder delivers the sensations of vintage machines. A built-in six-voice carrier synth with MIDI capability and an easy-to-use Attack Hold Decay Envelope, plus a visionary Freeze section, mean that you’re in for an array of sonic spectacle and revelry. Which is to say, you’re gonna have a real good time.
The Art of Rock & Roll Science
When it comes to creating equipment that improves workflow and offers the highest quality sound, our reputation is rock solid—and long. Our partnerships with premium brands like Marshall, Buchla, Doepfer, Mutronics, and OTO go back nearly twenty years.
Softube Vocoder is built on this legacy of creativity, passion, and attention to detail. Because to create tools that innovate, you have to have heart, soul, and Rock & Roll Science.
Have a listen
"Softube plugins always manage to find a spot in my productions. Vocoder is surprisingly easy to integrate into my work. It is unique in the sense that it blends in completely effortlessly."Record Producer / Sound Designer / Mix Engineer (Jason Derulo, David Guetta, Beyonce, J Balvin, Nicki Minaj, Daddy Yankee, B.T.S)
Softube Vocoder hooks the imagination with the look and feel of vintage vocoders. MIDI capability enables you to record and reproduce the notes that the stellar carrier synth will perform. Softube Vocoder is not an effect that mimics vocoding sounds. Softube Vocoder is true vocoding. Masterful on a multitude of sources—including drums—Vocoder's vintage tone and ease of use make Vocoder suited to electronic and pop music production. Play outside of the box in the box—or live—with a futuristic instrument that has become a retro classic.
A pivotal element of Softube Vocoder is the excellent six-voice polyphonic carrier synth. Move between four distinct waveforms—Saw, Square, Noise, and Pulse—with the ability to select octave adjustments, pitch modulation, and Pulse Wave Modulation. The Attack Hold Decay Envelope is simple-to-use and replaces traditional ADSR for in-the-moment performance. While the Unvoiced section provides control of plosive and high-frequency consonant sounds, bringing realism back to drum transients or vocal syllables that might be hard to comprehend. With a sonic swirl of classic vocoding and Softube innovation, Vocoder lets you articulate your dream sounds in full color.
Jam the Box
Create everything from full-spectrum synth sounds to android exclamations with variable band selection of four, eight, twelve, sixteen, and twenty. Build stereo width by assigning bands left to right based on odd-even numbering. Three knobs make it simple to adjust the sound of the resynthesis section. Control resonance, tilt to favor higher or lower bands, and adjust the speed versus slop of all the bands at once. And with the fantastical Freeze section, you can free your creative flow. Use the Freeze section to manually make a rhythmic hold of specific formants or employ a DAW sync to set subdivisions of a beat. With unique features and an intuitive workflow, Vocoder inspires artistry of a higher plane.
This product supports
We love VU meters, Bakelite knobs, and analog quirks. But we want modern precision and workflow. The answer? Softube Extended Features. Easy-access panels with the innovations you need close at hand.
- The look and feel of vintage vocoding with Softube innovations
- High-quality Softube sound, excellent shaping tools, and an inspiring workflow
- A superb six-voice polyphonic carrier synth with four selectable waveforms and MIDI capability
- An easy-to-use Attack Hold Decay Envelope
- Transpose Chord Mode lets you create a chord with the on-screen keyboard and then transpose it via MIDI Notes
- Control of plosive and high-frequency consonant sound reproduction via the Unvoiced section
- Stereo widening that adjusts the amount of spread between even and odd bands
- Spectral Tilt to swiftly set the spectral weight of the vocoder output
- Variable band selection between 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20 bands
- Unique Freeze section that allows rhythmic hold of certain formants manually and via MIDI Notes or a DAW Sync
- Shape section that controls slop of resynthesis and Emphasis section to manage the response of each band
- Add subtle vibrato to dramatic wobble effects with the Pitch Modulation section
- 6 Voice Polyphonic Carrier Synth
- 4 Waveforms: sawtooth, square, white noise, and pulse
- Controlled polyphonically via MIDI or set to hold pultiple notes in the Transpose Chord mode
- Selectable bandpass filters of 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20
- Control of emphasis (resonance), tilt (favoring of high vs low bands), and shape (speed) of the filters in the Resynthesis Control section