In Stockholm, Sweden, there’s a synth emporium like no other – a store with such vibrancy, such range, such color, that you’d need a dozen eyes and ears to take it all in. And the guy who runs it is no ordinary guy. He’s special, in all the best ways. His imagination fizzes and crackles with delight at the sounds of a million billion sparkling circuit boards.
Out of this hot-bed, this toy-box, this fantasy-factory, Parallels was born; an instrument with not one but two sound sources, each running painstakingly recorded and exquisitely calibrated multi-waveforms from every dream-machine must-have synth you could ever want, and sculpting the resulting sounds with the highest-quality Softube filters, modulators, and effects. If you’re looking for inspiration and sheer sound-quality in your music, this is your golden ticket.
Detailed algorithmic wavescanning means Parallels always finds its best sounds. And each of the high quality pre-recorded multi-waveforms contains a sonic journey, giving the artist endless raw material.
Beautiful, and easy to use
Exquisite UI design, with color-coded modulation feedback, clean layout, and interactive filter graphs, means Parallels fits on a single page, despite being a deep and sophisticated instrument.
Artists & legends
Parallels features hundreds of expertly-created presets from world-leading synth artists, engineers, and sound-designers, including Brian Transeau a.k.a. BT, Richard Devine, INHALT, and more.
"In a sea of same-same and sound-alike soft-synths, Softube is harnessing the power of what’s currently possible and making a unique, beguiling and beautiful-sounding new instrument. I love this thing and best of all, it’s super simple to use!"American music producer, composer, technologist, audio technician and multi-instrumentalist
Rare, boutique, even unreleased sounds...
There are many possible approaches to take in creating a brand new instrument. Parallels focuses on two main things. First, it should always sound fantastic, with a minimum of fuss. And second, it should inspire the artist with elegant workflow, superb layout and visual feedback, and a sense of endless possibility.
A huge part of the first point is taken care of by the source material. Almost a hundred high-quality pre-recorded multi-waveforms live at the heart of Parallels. These come from classic synths, digital and analog, hard-wired and modular, FM and phys mod, and from environmental and combined sources too. Even some super-rare and unreleased pieces are represented.
Algorithmic dual-wavescanning technology
Each waveform has a progression of some kind in its 15 second duration – a filter sweep, or a pitch diffusion for example – and playback can start from any point of the artist’s choosing, providing almost infinite sounds-per-sound, even at the source.
The playback method can be described as wavescanning, with pre-calibrated loop lengths per source for the best possible sonic outcome. The artist can choose how far the playhead will move through the source scene, and at what rate, before returning to its start point and settling into its sustain loop. All this with up to 14 voices at once.
Even just one of these source sections would be an intriguing instrument on its own. Parallels has two – independent and blendable in parallel – and much more besides.
Shape 'n' shake
Each source can pass through its own shaper section, for example, with a choice of three analog-modeled filter types; a state-variable filter (low, high, or band-pass), a vactrol-style low pass gate, or a triad of resonant peaks.
And what about the four ‘mod pods’ on the left! Each one can be filled by one of five modulator types (LFO, random, Euclidian sequencer, step sequencer, or envelope) and can modulate almost any parameter in the instrument, even pairing up to co-modulate single parameters in a blend amount selected by the artist. Apart from being utterly beautiful, the five modulation source options are versatile and intuitive, bringing all sorts of possibilities to the rest of the instrument.
Softube quality effects
Perhaps best of all; the effects. Softube’s track record for rich, living effects in software is well-established. Many synthesizer effects are an afterthought. Ours have been our very essence for more than a decade. Parallels features five three-knob effects in sequence; individually adjustable, modulatable, and bypassable. A hot and hairy distortion precedes a chewy, tasty chorus. Then a flanger with stereo spread built into its feedback control. Finally delay, and a succulent purpose-built algorithmic reverb to kiss the output signal goodbye.
Parallels is a software instrument like no other; a beautiful, intuitive, single-page interface concealing a wealth of treasures within. Created by dreamers, controlled by you.
- A plug-in soft-synth with dual wavescanning source sections.
- Almost a hundred high-quality pre-recorded multi-waveforms.
- Sonic progression within each waveform means near-infinite source-material.
- Two parallel sources means blended sounds, opening up exponentially more possibilities.
- Up to fourteen voices (seven per source when both sources are active)
- Hundreds of expertly-created presets from world-leading synth artists, engineers, and sound-designers, including Brian Transeau a.k.a. BT, Richard Devine, Inhalt, and more.
- Three analog-modeled filter types (state-variable, vactrol LPG, and resonant peaks).
- Five sophisticated types of modulation source; LFO, random, Euclidian sequencer, step sequencer, and envelope.
- Five top-quality effects options; distortion, chorus, flanger, delay, and reverb.
- Inspirational, creative, and beautiful.
- Crucially, it always sounds amazing.
Have a listen
"I'm super inspired by Parallels. This synth is so good at creating thick, warm textures. It really is amazing how musically lush Parallels can sound."Electronic artist and music producer (Warp, Schematic)
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer (older OS versions may work but are not tested).
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer.
- Screen resolution 1280x800 or larger.
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space. Specific information available on each instrument's page).
- Softube account.
- iLok account.
- Internet access for downloading installer and managing licenses.
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement).
- In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work.
However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs - and our own rigorous testing standards - we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Live, Studio One, Digital Performer, Reaper and Sonar. Softube plugins are not tested in the non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Please Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required. Therefore, for example, Pro Tools 10.x is no longer supported (contact support for latest 32-bit compatible instalers).
Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
The most recent maintenance release of the DAW application is recommended.
AAX DSP is not in active development, but older products still support AAX DSP. For legacy TDM/VENUE, please see the Legacy Installers page.