A VCO design masterpiece
The Rubicon, from Canadian Eurorack wizards Intellijel, is an analog triangle core VCO, capable of thru-zero frequency modulation.
Rubicon is ideal for experimenting with FM synthesis – broadly speaking, the modulation of one audible waveform with another – and can create some very complex and detailed sounds, both harmonic and inharmonic.
Originially created by Dave Dixon, Rubicon is rightly considered an analog VCO design masterpiece.
It is a unique Eurorack module, now offered as an add-on module for Modular.
A must-have for serious euroracking
With 12 primary waveform types, Rubicon is no toy. You can even work with multiple simultaneous waveform outputs, including waves that are multiples or divisions of the base frequency.
"Very impressive! I was making quite complex patches with modules cross modulating each other and the results were very close to what I get on my real hardware."Founder of Eurorack manufacturer Intellijel
Originally designed and created by Dave Dixon at Intellijel, the Rubicon has become a serious emblem or talisman for the Canadian synth pioneers. They descripe it on their website as 'our flagship analog oscillator', and it's not hard to see why.
Spitting out complex and vibrant sounds at all angles, it invites delighted interaction from its user. Far from a basic, functional starting point, the waveforms offered by Rubicon cry out to become the heart and soul of your patch, such is the depth of possibility in this module alone.
Combine and conquer
We've emulated every analog component of this module painstakingly for total accuracy right down to its triangle core, and because of the epic sonic architecture of Modular, every scintilla of life and detail is represented in this software version.
It becomes even more powerful when combined with other Intellijel modules (like the Korgasmatron II, or the µFold II), or with our Softube brand effects modules. That's when the benefit of our super-high-fidelity sound engine really comes into play; when complex interactions between complex modules take place.
- High precision emulated Triangle core.
- Switchable linear and (for the first time in any module) exponential TZFM (through-zero FM).
- Linear index VCA for dynamic control of TZFM depth.
- Symmetry control (full clockwise is normal, full counter-clockwise gives reversed waveforms, centered the VCO is at 0 Hz) with CV.
- 12 primary waveform types: sine, sigmoid, double sigmoid, triangle, saw, double saw, zigzag, square, pulse (center modulated), pulse (edge modulated), double pulse.
- Suboctave circuit with -1 and -2 octaves. The suboctave output is affected by fm just like the main signals.
- Soft sync (also known as reversing sync) with attenuator.
- Hard sync with selectable reset direction (determines if the triangle starts moving up or down after a reset, very useful in LFO mode).
- Pulse-width modulation and exponential FM with dedicated attenuators.
- Requires Modular.
Have a listen
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer.
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer.
- Screen resolution 1280x800 or larger.
- 1 GB RAM or more, and at least 6 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space).
- Any VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.7*, 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application.
- Softube account.
- iLok account.
- Internet access for downloading the plug-in(s) and managing the license(s).
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement).
All Softube plug-ins support both 32- and 64-bit hosts, although a 64-bit OS is required. Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
*Please Note: Pro Tools 10 is not officially qualified by Avid higher than OS X 10.8.
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer.