- Switchable linear and (for the first time in any module) exponential TZFM (through-zero FM).
- 12 primary waveform types: sine, sigmoid, double sigmoid, triangle, saw, double saw, zigzag, square, pulse (center modulated), pulse (edge modulated), double pulse.
- Suboctave circuit with -1 and -2 octaves. The suboctave output is affected by fm just like the main signals.
The Rubicon, from Canadian Eurorack wizards Intellijel, is an analog triangle core VCO, capable of thru-zero frequency modulation. Originally created by Dave Dixon, it is rightly considered an analog VCO design masterpiece.
Now offered as an officially licensed expansion for Softube Modular, the Rubicon is ideal for experimenting with FM synthesis – broadly speaking, the modulation of one audible waveform with another – and can create very complex and detailed sounds, both harmonic and inharmonic.
Have a listen
A Must-Have for Serious Euroracking
With 12 primary waveform types, Rubicon is no toy. You can even work with multiple simultaneous waveform outputs, including waves that are multiples or divisions of the base frequency.
"Very impressive! I was making quite complex patches with modules cross modulating each other and the results were very close to what I get on my real hardware."Founder of Eurorack manufacturer Intellijel
Originally designed and created by Dave Dixon at Intellijel, the Rubicon has become a serious emblem or talisman for the Canadian synth pioneers. They describe it on their website as 'our flagship analog oscillator', and it's not hard to see why.
Spitting out complex and vibrant sounds at all angles, it invites delighted interaction from its user. Far from a basic, functional starting point, the waveforms offered by Rubicon cry out to become the heart and soul of your patch, such is the depth of possibility in this module alone.
Combine and conquer
We've emulated every analog component of this module painstakingly for total accuracy right down to its triangle core, and because of the epic sonic architecture of Modular, every scintilla of life and detail is represented in this software version.
It becomes even more powerful when combined with other Intellijel modules (like the Korgasmatron II, or the µFold II), or with our Softube brand effects modules. That's when the benefit of our super-high-fidelity sound engine really comes into play; when complex interactions between complex modules take place.
- Made for Modular, Softube's Eurorack platform. Learn more about Modular
- High precision emulated Triangle core
- Switchable linear and (for the first time in any module) exponential TZFM (through-zero FM)
- Linear index VCA for dynamic control of TZFM depth
- Symmetry control (full clockwise is normal, full counter-clockwise gives reversed waveforms, centered the VCO is at 0 Hz) with CV
- 12 primary waveform types: sine, sigmoid, double sigmoid, triangle, saw, double saw, zigzag, square, pulse (center modulated), pulse (edge modulated), double pulse
- Suboctave circuit with -1 and -2 octaves. The suboctave output is affected by fm just like the main signals
- Soft sync (also known as reversing sync) with attenuator
- Hard sync with selectable reset direction (determines if the triangle starts moving up or down after a reset, very useful in LFO mode)
- Pulse-width modulation and exponential FM with dedicated attenuators
All Softube products require a computer with appropriate DAW host software (none of which are included).
Versions from 2.5.18 and newer of the Softube plug-ins have the following minimum requirements:
All native versions
- Mac OS X 10.13 or newer (older OS versions will not work)
- Windows 10 64-bit (older Windows versions may work but are not tested)
- Mac: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon - M1 support pending
- Windows: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon / AMD Quad-Core or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space. Specific information available on each instrument’s page).
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading installers and managing licenses
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok key for authorizing your plug-ins (note that a physical iLok USB key is not a requirement)
- In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (Pro Tools 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work.
However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs - and our own rigorous testing standards - we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Ableton Live, Studio One, Reaper and Cakewalk. Softube plugins are not tested in non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required.
Note: With regards to the different VST formats, we strongly recommend using VST3 as some of our plug-ins have features that are not present in the older VST formats.
Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
The most recent maintenance release of your DAW application is recommended. AAX DSP is not currently in active development. TDM/VENUE are no longer supported (old downloads are available on the Legacy Installers page)