- A careful emulation of the legendary Marshall JMP 2203 from the Marshall museum, the father of the JCM800, with the same character and the true sound of rock and hard rock
- Cabinet speakers expertly recorded by acclaimed engineer/producer Tony Platt
- Amp Room Ready: works as a native plug-in and as a module in Amp Room, our pro audio guitar platform. Learn more
Guitar Amp / Amp Room Ready
Marshall JMP 2203
The Marshall JMP 2203 was introduced in 1975. It quickly replaced the Plexi as the go-to Marshall amp and became the amp against which all other rock amps were compared. Artists who used it included Jeff Beck, Andy Summers, Tom Morello, AC/DC, Mötley Crüe, Judas Priest, Slayer, the Pixies, and more.
Marshall JMP 2203 is a super accurate plug-in version of the real thing, produced in partnership with Marshall from the reference 2203 amp that Marshall themselves use to define the true 2203 sound in the Marshall museum. The plug-in was component modeled down to the smallest details, resulting in flawless sound quality so you can let there be rock.
"In spite of being very much a “game changer” for rock guitar sounds, this amplifier is simple and direct. Always solid and punchy and crunchy, but letting the notes sing clear and loud. This plug-in recreates that unique and individual response the 2203 has—and it really does misbehave just like the real thing!"Producer/Engineer (AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Foreigner)
Have a listen
The True Rock and Hard Rock Sound
The Marshall JMP 2203 plug-in is a precise emulation of the reference unit from the Marshall museum. The father of the JCM800, it has the same character and the true sound of rock and hard rock.
Guaranteed to Rock
The speaker cabinet was recorded by Tony Platt, who is famous for having recorded AC/DC’s landmark albums Highway to Hell and Back in Black.
Authentic Marshall Sound
From Any Setup
Set up the mics exactly the way you need them to get exactly the great sounds you need from this legendary amplifier.
This product supports
We love VU meters, Bakelite knobs, and analog quirks. But we want modern precision and workflow. The answer? Softube Extended Features. Easy-access panels with the innovations you need close at hand.
Amp Room Ready
This plug-in can be used within Amp Room, Softube's pro audio guitar & bass platform. Click to learn more.
A Rock Amp With Marshall Heritage
The JMP 2203 was created out of demand for an amp with a master volume, which made it possible to get a distorted sound without the ear-splitting sound pressure levels this caused with a non-master volume amp like the Marshall Plexi. This change expanded the sonic options a lot.
By keeping the preamp gain down and getting most of the distortion from the power amp, you get more of a 1960s Marshall sound. By turning the master volume down and the preamp volume up, you get an edgier and more present distortion. All of this has been modeled with the highest precision in the plug-in.
Engineered by a Legend
Producer and engineer Tony Platt, who recorded some of the best Marshall tones ever committed to tape on some of the most rocking albums of all time – AC/DC’s Highway to Hell and Back in Black – masterfully captured the sound of a Marshall 1960B cabinet equipped with Celestion G12-75 speakers to pair with the JMP 2203 amp plug-in.
Platt recorded the cabinet with 5 microphones (2 dynamic, 3 condenser) with the ability to blend 2 together, carefully selected to give a wide variety of tones and positioned to sound fantastic when used in combination with each other. Nothing comes close to the mix-ready magic of these sounds. We built a world-class engineer right into the plug-in.
A Complete Workflow for Mix-Ready Guitar Tones
Open the channel strip to the right of the amplifier head by clicking the aluminum side with the white Channel Strip sticker, and a panel appears with options to help you blend and tweak your sounds until they’re mix-ready.
Use Mic Select to choose microphones for each of the two channels. Four of the microphones were placed close to the 1960B cabinet with G12-75 speakers, and one was used as a room mic. Use Pan to select the channel’s position in the stereo panorama. Activate or deactivate a channel with In. Use Volume fader to set the volume level of the channel.
The Input Gate shuts off the sound when guitar isn’t playing. Lower settings let through more low-level sounds, while higher settings make the gate more discriminating. Mid, High and Low Gain set the boost or cut values of each of the three EQ bands. Mid Freq sets the operating frequency of the Mid band. The Clip Indicator lights up when the output is too loud, and the Master Out turns the overall output level up of down. With all of these options, you can mix your ideal sound right there in the plug-in.
Perfect for Amp Room
Marshall JMP 2203 comes with modules that are fully integrated into the Amp Room ecosystem and sound exactly the same as the native version of the plug-in. If you already own Amp Room, you definitely need this amp.
Amp Room is the pro audio guitar and bass platform, designed with sound quality as top priority. It’s just like having a real amplifier with a miked up speaker cabinet in a high-end studio – with the added convenience of more options to patch in any kind of studio tool you need anywhere in the chain.
"The original JMP 2203 was a hugely important amp for a number of reasons; the first master volume, the incredible bottom end and punchy mids, and paving the way for what was to be the JCM800. Tonally, every aspect of the museum piece has been meticulously recreated with this plug-in."International product demonstrator and new product co-ordinator, Marshall Amplification
Softube & Marshall: A partnership based on sound quality
Softube’s first prototype was a hardware DSP box running a Marshall amp model and a loudspeaker model. This attracted Marshall’s interest and led to a successful long-term partnership between Softube and Marshall. Softube is Marshall’s exclusive software partner, and Amp Room comes with the only amps and cabs available in software form that are officially licensed and endorsed by Marshall.
Learn more about our partnership with Marshall.
- A careful emulation of the legendary JMP 2203 rock amp
- The father of the JCM800, with the same character and the true sound of rock and hard rock
- Cabinet speakers recorded by engineer/producer Tony Platt of AC/DC fame
- Both a native plug-in and a module for Amp Room, the pro audio guitar and bass platform
- Component modeled down to the smallest details
- Flawless, authentic sound quality
- Numerous options for setting up the mics to your specifications
- Endless creative possibilities in Amp Room
- A rare collectible with Marshall legacy, now available as software
- Use the channel strip to mix your sound right there in the plug-in
- Officially licensed and endorsed by Marshall
- Super accurate component modeled software version of Marshall’s own museum specimen of the Marshall JMP 2203
- Developed by Softube in partnership with Marshall
- Comes as a Native plug-in and Amp Room modules in one package
- Speaker cabinet produced by the legendary Tony Platt who is known for having recorded some of the best Marshall tones ever committed to tape
- Choose between 5 different classic microphones in different positions with the possibility to use 2 at a time
- A real classic amplifier that basically defined the rock guitar sound of the 70’s and 80’s
- 50 presets by Tony Platt for both the native version and Amp Room
- macOS Big Sur 11, Monterey 12, Ventura 13
- Windows 10 (64-bit), Windows 11
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Computer with AU, VST, VST3 and/or AAX compatible DAW host software
- Internet access (for downloading installers and managing licenses)
Read full System Requirements and our Terms and Conditions