Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator
How twisted can things get?
With Buchla 259e, the answer is — pretty twisted! This coveted dual oscillator module is the first-ever officially licensed plug-in version of a Buchla product.
While the unit can be used for traditional synth patches, its unusual inner workings makes Buchla 259e excel at metallic, cold, harsh, digital and screeching sounds.
The first ever officially licensed software version
The Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator plug-in for Modular features all the digital waveshaping, aliasing noise and foldover frequencies of the original hardware.
Expand the possibilities
Enjoy the self-modifying, screeching, snarling responses from the original's downright odd inner workings. The 259e is a unique addition to the Modular ecosystem.
"The Twisted Waveform Generator is one of Buchla's many complicated and mysterious modules. I honestly did not expect a digital version to capture the richness of this maverick device. But, Softube has, amazingly, captured everything I have, so far, imagined about the oscillator. The Twisted plugin is now an important element in my Buchla + Computer performances."Artist, Synthesist and Musical Pioneer
What is a Twisted Waveform Generator anyways?
The 259e consists of two separate oscillators — Principal and Modulation — where Modulation can be used either to modulate the Principal oscillator or as a separate generator of audible notes. Furthermore, the sine wave generated by the Principal oscillator is simultaneously applied to two of the eight available waveshape tables. A morph voltage pans between the two tables and a warp voltage varies the amplitude of the sinusoidal (driving) waveform. Both these functions can be modulated by the Modulation oscillator.
Here's where it gets really twisted
Three of the waveshape tables are actually not tables in the classical sense — they are simply portions of the 259e operating program, full of unpredictable noise and frequent silences. This is the innovative Mem Skew mode, possibly the most unique feature of the Buchla 259e. When these tables are selected, the FM controls are re-assigned to table scanning functions and the FM inputs become table modulators.
More than traditional sounds
To sum it up, while the Buchla 259e can certainly be used for more traditional sounds, it excels at creating otherworldly twisted digital sonic landscapes. Which is why it is one of the most coveted synth modules on the market.
- Unique and desirable oscillator.
- Perfect for screeching, harsh and digital sounds.
- Can also be tamed to sound quite smooth and organic. Can morph smoothly between these softer sounds and the more in-your-face sounds.
- The digital parts are ported from the hardware line by line, the wavetables byte by byte, and the analog parts are modeled component by component.
- The first-ever officially licensed Buchla plug-in.
- Requires Modular.
Have a listen
"Three years ago I purchased a Buchla Easel and it really changed the way I compose my music. The Softube Buchla 259e makes me not miss my Easel too much while travelling."Producer, DJ, remixer and artist
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer.
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer.
- Screen resolution 1280x800 or larger.
- 1 GB RAM or more, and at least 6 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space).
- Any VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.7*, 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application.
- Softube account.
- iLok account.
- Internet access for downloading the plug-in(s) and managing the license(s).
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement).
All Softube plug-ins support both 32- and 64-bit hosts, although a 64-bit OS is required. Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
*Please Note: Pro Tools 10 is not officially qualified by Avid higher than OS X 10.8.
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer.