- Channel emulation for Softube Console 1 with EQ, compressor, limiter, gate, high/low cut filters and input stage drive
- Inspired by vintage British Class A hardware units
- Perfectly compatible with Console 1
Console 1 exclusive/ Channel Strip
British Class A
Add body and character to your tracks with a Console 1 strip inspired by classic British units from the '60s and early '70s — collecting the most coveted and distinctive sounding units of the pro audio world in a single channel.
Paired with the smooth workflow and hands-on control you'd expect of Console 1, British Class A gives you the perfect mix solution for the DAW-based studio.
"British Class A delivers every aspect of the timeless vintage British sound. From the rich, dense crunch of overdriving the input stage, to the compressor and EQ. Furthermore, Softube made the units better suited for modern day mixing with the cool and useful feature additions."Grammy awarded engineer for Taylor Swift, Pink and Katy Perry
Have a listen
Muscular and musical
Let your tracks soak in the fat transformer crunch of the input stage, get great tone with the honey-sweet equalizer, control dynamics with the beautifully musical compressor, smash them into oblivion with the limiter, and keep things tight and tidy with the smooth gate.
Pushing the transformer-based circuits of these classic analog units too hard resulted in a warm and tasteful distortion character which dominated the personality of these desks. In the British Class A it's accessible with a single knob.
"I just love this channel strip to bits! A resounding 10 out of 10."Editor, Dancetech
To ensure the model's accuracy, the British Class A Equalizer has been based on several different original vintage hardware pieces. While the sound is indistinguishable from the analog originals, the British Class A Equalizer offers even greater flexibility by incorporating dual mid bands instead of a single one. This lets you shape your sounds in creative ways that with the original hardware would have required two daisy-chained equalizers.
The British Class A Compressor adds a full-bodied and syrupy tone to the sound source, in addition to its highly musical gain reduction. The model is based on the classic British diode bridge compressor/limiter, which first came out in 1968. But just as with the equalizer, we've added extra flexibility, incorporating a modification used by many top-level studios to improve control of attack times and additional release times.
The original compressor unit incorporated both a compressor and a limiter. For maximum usability, we have modelled the two separately and installed them as two distinct plug-ins in British Class A. Use the British Class A Limiter for exceedingly subtle level control — or for beating your sounds into submission.
One of the lesser-known classic British units, the original gate shared the same form factor as the famous equalizer and compressor units modeled in British Class A. It was also a transformer based class A design and does a terrific job of keeping tracks tighter and cleaner. Using the sidechain input makes it very useful for ultra-musical keying purposes.
Video: Mix In Style With British Class A
Sometimes, you wake up and things feel good. You look in the mirror and realize everything is ok. But throw on your tuxedo or cocktail dress, give a little smile, and take another look. Now you feel really good. That’s the British Class A.
From vocals, to acoustic guitars, to orchestral strings, the BCA adds the essence of status and class. Musical harmonics from a carefully selected transformer to strategically placed EQ bands make this channel strip like no other.
Make a statement, but do it with style.
- Made for Console 1, Softube's mixing ecosystem. Learn more
- Inspired by vintage British Class A hardware units
- Channel emulation for Console 1 with EQ, compressor, limiter, gate, high/low cut filters and input stage drive
- Doubled equalizer mid band
- Additional compressor attack/release times, based on the most famous modification available
All Softube products require a computer with appropriate DAW host software (none of which are included).
Versions from 2.5.18 and newer of the Softube plug-ins have the following minimum requirements:
All native versions
- Mac OS X 10.13 or newer (older OS versions will not work)
- Windows 10 64-bit (older Windows versions may work but are not tested)
- Mac: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon - M1 support pending
- Windows: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon / AMD Quad-Core or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space. Specific information available on each instrument’s page).
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading installers and managing licenses
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok key for authorizing your plug-ins (note that a physical iLok USB key is not a requirement)
- In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (Pro Tools 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work.
However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs - and our own rigorous testing standards - we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Ableton Live, Studio One, Reaper and Cakewalk. Softube plugins are not tested in non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required.
Note: With regards to the different VST formats, we strongly recommend using VST3 as some of our plug-ins have features that are not present in the older VST formats.
Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
The most recent maintenance release of your DAW application is recommended. AAX DSP is not currently in active development. TDM/VENUE are no longer supported (old downloads are available on the Legacy Installers page)